Re: estimated-visits-per-day (Was: Re: Caching dynamically generated documents)

Luigi Rizzo:
>[Koen Holtman:]
>> One way to implement this idea would be to introduce a
>> cache-control header
>>
>>   Cache-control: estimated-visits-per-day=N
>>
>> with N being an estimate by the server of how often the resource is
>> visited each day.  Even very rough estimates (say 0.01, 0.1, 1, 10,
>> 100, or 1000) could help caches a lot.
>>
>> Estimates could be made by content authors, or semi-automatically by
>
>Authors will give bad estimates.
>who would write a document knowing that its estimated-visits-per-day=0.01 ?

Not everything available on web servers is written specifically for
the web.  I thinking of was cases in which an existing 100K entry
database is put on the web as 100K web pages.  A nice database
publisher would surely have no problems putting
estimated-visits-per-day=0.01 on each page.  Typical examples of such
databases: library catalogs, newsgroup archives, mailing list
archives.

>On the other hand, my fundamental papers on "the life of ants on Mars"
>would certainly include a estimated-visits-per-day=1000.
>
>        Luigi

Koen.