From: Bjoern Hoehrmann
Sent: Friday, November 26, 2010 6:44 AM
To: aditsu
Cc: html-tidy@w3.org
Subject: Re: Is Tidy still being maintained?

* aditsu wrote:
>Hi, is anybody still working on HTML Tidy? There has been no commit in CVS
>for more than a year now, and only about 4 commits in 2009. And there are
>lots of bugs that nobody is fixing.

Speaking for myself, if somebody made me aware of a security problem, or
would like me to review a patch, I would be happy to do so, beyond that,
for quite some time now nobody has been interested enough in the project
to steer discussion on the development list or otherwise engage with the
project actively.

>I brought JTidy pretty much in sync with Tidy, to the point where it
>actually performs better, and I have to emulate bugs to get similar
>results.
>I have a bunch of bugs to report, but the ones I reported last year are
>still sitting there untouched.

Well, to things like http://tidy.sf.net/issue/2917718 I think I've
always reponded to saying that there are very many errors Tidy does
recover from silently, it's never meant to be a fully featured HTML
Validator, or something along that line. (To me, usability of the
Sourceforge bug tracking system has always been terrible, and it has
becomes worse recently, so I mostly stay away from the tracker.)

I would say we do still have infrastructure and people in place to
support maintenance, but nobody doing much groundwork like working
through the bug tracker, submitting patches, starting discussions on
the development list, and so on.

There are basically four components to Tidy, one is a HTML parser that
can recover from errors in a manner authors might expect (as sometimes
opposed to what browsers do), a component that checks for some errors
and reports them, one where attempts are made to fix problems, and one
that "pretty prints" documents. The parser is likely going to be re-
placed by "HTML5" parsers, the validation component probably has to be
rewritten to accomodate "HTML5", I am not sure about the "fixup" part,
and the pretty printing should really be done by a separe library that
allows for more freedom than Tidy has done so far, pretty printing is
useful independently of all the other things (whereas parsing and error
reporting and fixups are not so easily separated).

With that in mind, the main thing that I would expect to happen in terms
of Tidy development is someone submitting a patch to support "HTML5"
elements and attributes in some rough manner, so you can continue to use
Tidy where you are used to it, and at the same time use "HTML5" features
and I would not expect much more to come of the project at the moment.