Re: installing tidy

Hi barbara,
I am not an official tidy w3c person – just a fellow list member (so my
info may not be 110% correct).

I had a similar problem when first using
http://sourceforge.net/projects/tidy without selecting a Download Mirror
site first.  I can not re-create your result but I remembered this case
so well its kind of hard to forget. It still burns.

My browser (aka – with download manager) sees the URL line of
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/int64/tidy-040806-exe.zip and
downloads it (folders for you, junk html files for me.. something else
for others?)  The URL line refers to a web page/redirector of some kind
and seems to not be an actual zip file – its kind of misleading.
Try one of these links :
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/int64/tidy-040806-exe.zip?use_mirror=
optusnet
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/int64/tidy-040806-exe.zip?use_mirror=
belnet
etc..

A reason: If no mirror is selected at sourceforge.net by using the ?
Symbol like above you will get an error of one kind or another when your
download manager sees the link.  I dont think the URL above exists but is
a redirector of one kind or another.
And your very correct – there is no real help provided for such a problem
– compounded by the amount of versions that tidy comes in.  But alas its
a sourceforge thingie I guess (that or someone likes making me click
stuff).

The Links at http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/int64/ don't work either
unless you add/append the mirror bit (?use_mirror=optusnet) to the
download URL.

I hope that helps, but wait – I have lots more

---- extra info ----
Down the bottom of the web page of the main entry page for tidy at
http://tidy.sourceforge.net/ is a section named "Other Builds" and two
versions by Terry and Cory with the Tidy.exe file requested in your post.
 Currently the above Tidy.exe is inside another named "tidy_win32.zip" at
http://tidy.sourceforge.net/trt/tidy_win32.zip and at
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/int64/tidy-040806-exe.zip for Windows
95/98/ME/2000/XP users.

The second link above (current Edition by Cory) downloads files/folders
if you do not have a mirror set as described.

However, I think the links your after are located on the Right Hand side
of the web page http://tidy.sourceforge.net/ somewhere as I will explain
below, EG: as a word plug-in.  The following sample from the right hand
side of the tidy web page that shows a few versions of the/a Tidy program
exist.  Tidy as sourceforge are conserned is a source code that makes a
LIB file.  The LIB file can be incorperated into software applications to
suit need/s.

The default is a very boring console program/MsDos version – but it works
well.
Dave Raggett's Original
04 Aug 00 Win32 executable – (original console/MsDos version)

Better GUI versions are below:
TidyLIB Applications
tsWebEditor - integrated browser editor <---
http://valet.htmlhelp.com/tidy/  ??  its news to me ??
Tidy UI - basic GUI for Win32

There are two or more versions of Tidy per-compiled for Windows operating
systems that I know of; I would guess there are many more, may even have
a plugin OCX/TLB/EXE/DLL/LIB file of some kind made using TidyLib for
word users and other software clients/ends, etc;

One is called TidyUI.exe, another called TidyGUI.exe, and a third named
Tidy.exe (the one you asked about in post)

TidyUI.exe version has an interface that allows me to see my editing as a
web page.
TidyGUI.exe version does not really have a interface like TidyUI to edit
or view – just some buttons.
Tidy.exe version tidy_win32.zip is a MsDos console application.

The Tidy programs are able to make changes to your HTML and other file
formats depending on the configuration of the version and location of
Tidy that your using.

PS:  It took myself a long time to workout this; just how-long it took me
to realise it is something I will keep to myself for a very long time.
The double up affect of downloading files/folders did not help my
understanding at first.

PSS:  Select a mirror site to download from, do not trust web links on
sourceforge to work.

I hope this helped but if not just repost your question.
No reply is needed.
:)

Kind regards,
Jason Robinson