Re: HTML proprietary, what DOCTYPE?

* Nicole Anson wrote:
>Tidy keeps saying: Document content looks like HTML proprietary
>I looked for days but can’t find what DOCTYPE I should put in.

The problem here is that you use markup that is not allowed in any W3C
defined document type. For example the <marquee> element is not defined
by W3C, it is a proprietary extension, hence Tidy will report any
document containing the <marquee> element as HTML proprietary. Tidy
should also tell you what is wrong with your document, e.g.

  line 1 column 1 - Warning: <marquee> is not approved by W3C

or

  line 1 column 1 - Warning: <body> proprietary attribute "topmargin"

>I tried the 4.01 transitional, loose but W3 keeps saying that is not correct.
><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
>"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">

It would be helpful if you tell us what the Validator is complaining
about.