RE: Empty <div> tags

The 'empty-elements' option would work for me as I could retain the <div>
tags with the styles defined for them without changing the default behavior
for anyone else.

leave as is(or use new option setting) if attributes are there(maybe just
style,class or id)?

btw, this is not my preference for drawing lines on a web page, but rather
the result of a third party utility to convert hundreds of PDFs to HTML
documents.

one other note: my example is not nested <div> tags(as posted below), but
rather individual <div> tags. i.e.

Charlie Cox