RE: Empty <div> tags

Ok, I see what you mean.  Is this behavior specific to DIV or would it
apply to other block level tags?  What about PRE, BLOCKQUOTE, CENTER?

Empty TD elements have meaning as placeholders.  However empty TDs should
probably be handled the same way as empty Ps: insert a &nbsp;  This is my
standard hand-coding practice to make tables w/ empty cells look OK.