Re: What Next

On Sun, 20 Oct 2002 12:39:53 -0600, Clarence L. Curl <ccurl@elp.rr.com> wrote:

> I have a popup screen that reads as follows:
>
> Line one states  HTML Tidy for Windows <vers 1st August 2002; built on
> Aug 8 2002, at 15:41:13>
>
> Line two states   Parsing Console input <stdin>
>
> flashing cursor
>

> Since this my first experience with Tidy, where do I go from here?

Tidy is waiting for your HTML to come in, so it can parse it. From an
earlier mail to this list by Dave Raggett:

"Tidy is fundamentally a tool that reads in HTML cleans it up and writes it
out again. It was developed as a program you run from the
console prompt, but there are GUI encapsulations available, e.g. HTML-Kit,
which you might prefer.

If you are using Windows, the first step is to unzip the zip file
and place the tidy.exe file in a folder somewhere on your executables path.
You may also want to set up a config file to save having to type lots of
options each time you run Tidy. From
the console prompt you can run Tidy like this:

C> tidy -m mywebpage.html

In this case, the -m option requests Tidy to write the tidied file
back to the same filename as it read from (mywebpage.html). Tidy
will give you a breakdown of the problems it found and the version
of HTML the file appears to be using."

See also http://tidy.sourceforge.net/docs/Overview.html

If you're not comfortable with the DOS command line, you should try one of
the GUI versions:
http://users.rcn.com/creitzel/tidy.html#tidyui

One of these days, I'm going to write an HOWTO on using Tidy under Windows
for people who come to Tidy without DOS knowledge. Or is there such a
document available?

--
If you don't like having choices    |  Rijk van Geijtenbeek
made for you, you should start      |   Documentation & QA