Re: I downloaded html tidy

On Fri, 18 Oct 2002, Webby wrote:

> I downloaded html tidy, thinking it was a program that I would
> open a web page up in and then press a button and have it fix the
> coding. Is this not correct? What I got was a zip file loaded with
> individual pages of codes and stuff I don't understand. My site
> was created with frontpage. I do not know frontpage, nor do I want
> to learn. I want to convert the pages to standard html code so
> that I can make edits. Can someone please help me?

Tidy is fundamentally a tool that reads in HTML cleans it up and
writes it out again. It was developed as a program you run from the
console prompt, but there are GUI encapsulations available, e.g.
HTML-Kit, which you might prefer.

If you are using Windows, the first step is to unzip the zip file
and place the tidy.exe file in a folder somewhere on your
executables path. You may also want to set up a config file to save
having to type lots of options each time you run Tidy. From
the console prompt you can run Tidy like this:

   C> tidy -m mywebpage.html

In this case, the -m option requests Tidy to write the tidied file
back to the same filename as it read from (mywebpage.html). Tidy
will give you a breakdown of the problems it found and the version
of HTML the file appears to be using.

--
 Dave Raggett <dsr@w3.org> or <dave.raggett@openwave.com>
 W3C lead for voice/multimodal. http://www.w3.org/People/Raggett