Re: tidy, indentation and XML/SGML rules

* Bjoern Hoehrmann [Sat, 12/10/2002 at 04:05 +0200]

> * Fred Bone wrote:
> >> My problem is that tidy breaks lines between elements, like this :
> >> .../...
>
> No, Jany is right here, in XML by default all white space is significant
> and as she points out, Tidy changes white space in the document. I

Not really important, but Jany is a "he". My first name is a bit
confusing, but I am getting used to it ;-)

> remember some feature requests regarding XML pretty printing and bug
> reports on XML vs. Tidy's treatment of white space. I am not sure how
> useful Tidy is for generic XML pretty printing...
I generate XHTML from XHTML using Openjade.
I have sometime to use tidy to pretty print my source code, so it is
easier to read. But OpenSP, the SGML parser of Openjade warns that
character data has been found between elements.
I am aware that I am here on the border between strict SGML and XML.

Jany