Re: tidy mis-handles <pre> text containing <br>

* Charles Reitzel wrote:
>In my test, the left-right alignment (the primary reason for using <pre>)
>was messed up.  The Pre-Tidy sample lined up nicely in both IE6 and NS6.

But differently, IE 6.0 ignores sub-sequent <br>s while Opera 6.0 and
Mozilla 1.0 insert a newline wherever they find a <br>.

>The input has lots of tabs and _no_ newlines. So a) I think the code is not
>adding the right number of spaces and b) any time we add a newline where
>there wasn't one before, perhaps we should take away a <br>.  Either that,
>or do not add newlines at all.

The http://tidy.sourceforge.net/docs/quickref.html is wrong, while
tab-size defaults to 8 (changed after the mentioned discussion) it is
documented as defaulting to 4. If you replace all <br> with \n Tidy
won't mess up anything hence that's where to look at.