Re: Getting Started With Tidy

Hi Will,

Visit the Tidy home page at http://tidy.sourceforge.net/.  From there you
will find a link to Dave Raggett's documentation, which covers many aspects
of using tidy and HTML cleanup in general.  If you are comfortable with
command line tools, just download one of the binaries from the Tidy page.

There are also GUI wrappers for Tidy available for Windows, Mac and some
other platforms as well.  These will make it easier to experiment with
different Tidy options and look at the different results and diagnostic
messages.  Again, there are links from the Tidy page.

All of the above are simple to install.  Usually, it is just a matter of
extracting the files from the tar/zip file (depending on your platform,
etc.) and running the program.

If you are new to W3C compliant HTML, I might just say one thing: don't
worry too much about it.  The things is, there are several HTML and XHTML
standards which occasionally even conflict with one another.

Instead, I would suggest starting out by checking that your pages work in
at least two browsers.  Usually, these are IE and Netscape, but also Opera,
Konqueror and others have significant user bases.  Pick two you think your
readers may be using.

Finally, Front Page is known to add a bunch of stuff to HTML that you might
want to clean up.  There are a few Tidy options that will assist with
this.  See:

http://tidy.sourceforge.net/docs/quickref.html#word-2000
http://tidy.sourceforge.net/docs/quickref.html#clean
http://tidy.sourceforge.net/docs/quickref.html#bare
http://tidy.sourceforge.net/docs/quickref.html#drop-font-tags

Give it a try and post back to the list if you have more questions.

take it easy,
Charlie