Re: Inquires concerning tool "Tidy"

At 12:13 PM -0400 7/15/02, ralf.doenicke@ubs.com wrote:
>Hello,
>may be, we want to use the tool "Tidy" in our company.
>I want to verify, if the Webapplications are w3c compliance
>for the Platforms "Microsoft NT", "XP" and "SOLARIS".
>Although this software is freeware, does our company have to pay
>for licenses? And how are maintenances (support) regulated?

For the basic Tidy product provided by the core development team, no
license fee is required, and there is no charge for updates. Other
individuals and companies whose value-add products include the Tidy code,
are free to charge what they wish.

Since the core Tidy code is maintained by a small group of volunteers,
assisted by others who provide Tidy on their platform, the means of support
and maintenance releases is currently limited to automatic nightly builds
of the Tidy source code for various platforms, occasional manual builds of
the Tidy source code for other platforms, and responding to questions and
bug reports in this forum and through a bug tracking database. The last
complete release with documentation was some time ago, and it is intended
that there be another complete release with documentation in the future.

Specifically Microsoft Windows platforms are NOT one of the platforms
supported by automatic nightly builds, and while Solaris is a platform
supported by the automatic nightly builds, there is currently a technical
issue (still trying to be resolved) that is preventing the Solaris build
from being built automatically.

However, having said all that, there are various people who do maintain
builds of Tidy on the Windows platform.

If you haven't already done so, visit the Tidy home page at :

<http://tidy.sourceforge.net>

Hope this helps.

Regards, Terry Teague