Config file suggestion (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2002 10:23:43 -0500
From: Dale Chatham <dale@chatham.org>
To: dsr@w3.org
Subject: Config file suggestion

On the UNIX side, I think you should consider default locations for
configuration files.  I would think that all of the following should be
searched, with the first hit of a confirmed file specifying the file:

`pwd`/tidyrc
`pwd`/.tidyrc
Environmnet variable
~/.tidyrc
~/etc/tidyrc
/etc/tidyrc

This conforms to UNIX conventions and would allow various levels of
standards for the way HTML should look.

I am going to try to implement this and if I get to it before you do,
I'll send the patch file.  however, it looks like tidy.c determines
where to look and the actual looking is done in config.c.  I suspect
that since there is now some checking to be done and a miss doesn't mean
no config file (it could be in the third place to look), that the
functions will have to be put in one place with a loop.

Best regards,

Dale Chatham