>and
>
><pre>
>text
></pre>
><hr>
><pre>
>text
></pre>
>
>are generally rendered quite differently -- pre is a block level
>element, and browsers add whitespace before/after block level elements.

Does not matter, we cannot emulate the behaivour of that invalid HTML
with valid HTML without using Cascading Style Sheets. We can let Tidy
add style information, but this is not a good idea, we should leave it
to the author to fix visual appearance, he knows better what he tries to
achieve. However, the second code example is the best thing we can
generate to emulate browsers behaivour. Remember, Tidy is designed to
take invalid HTML and make it valid while keeping the visual appearance
as good as possible, hence I support Richard's request.