Re: images removed from Word-200 documents?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sherman Mohler" <smohler@ciscolearning.org>
To: "Bjoern Hoehrmann" <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Cc: <html-tidy@w3.org>
Sent: Friday, December 28, 2001 7:56 PM
Subject: Re: images removed from Word-200 documents?

| 1) Allow the user to "mark up" their documents with some
instructions to the
| delivery engine (ala a simple meta-language)
| 2) User outputs to HMTL from Word or Powerpoint
| 3) We covert the meta-language to special HTML markup tags (for
later use
| with tidy's "new tag" capability)
| 4) Use tidy to scrub the HTML output, along with the "new tags".
| 5) Grab chunks of HTML, using the "new tags" as markers.
| 6) Load the chunks of HTML into the appropriate XML for input into
the
| delivery engine
|
| Six easy steps to success! Right?  :-0

Just a few comments to step #1 to #3 in your suggested workflow:

If your users are willing to use some constructed tag-set to markup
their Word documents, you might instead consider this alternative
approach:

- Create a set of Word paragraph styles which represents the
structure of your documents
- Save the styles to a Word .dot file which you tell your users to
install in their Office installation
- Tell them how to use your styleset and Word's own embedded styles
to markup the structure of their documents
- Tell them to save the documents to RTF, NOT to HTML!
- Get a copy of the excellent rtf2html tool (for instance
http://www.logictran.com/) and configure it to output the HTML you
want
- Proceed with your step 4 if you want to clean the HTML code any
further

Some benefits with this approach:

 + the RTF creation inside Word is pretty stable and good across
versions and platforms, HTML creation _is not_
 + the HTML creation is done centrally by you, not by the users
 + you get far better control over all parts of the documemts,
including the images

Possible downsides:

 + users must install your styles
 + Word paragraph styles are simple, and not capable of
replacing/mapping advanced tag-sets

http://www.bjoernsworld.de
 http://bjoern.hoehrmann.de
http://www.learn.to/quote/