Re: DOCTYPE affects Netscape 6

On 19 Dec 2001, at 10:30, Carole Mah wrote:

> I have a number of completely w3c-compliant documents.  I ran them through
> Tidy to be sure.

I don't use Netscape 6 or X-anything-L, so I cannot comment on the bulk of
your post, but note that HTML Tidy is not a validator, so Tidying files
does not then imply that they are "W3C-compliant."  See:

  http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&selm=mXqV6.4110%24aK4.355558%40news.abs.net

and:

  http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&selm=Yu6W6.4233%24aK4.389863%40news.abs.net

The latter post gives an example of invalid HTML for which Tidy reported
"No errors or warnings."

The beginning of the cited thread mentions a number of available validators
that can be used to check compliance.

                                      -- Dave