Re: [Tidy-dev] Accessibility checking in Tidy

In a message dated 11/6/01 2:51:10 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
creitzel@rcn.com writes:

> You raise a basic question: are the W3C guidelines sufficiently general to
>  apply to non-U.S.  And, vice versa, are the W3C guidelines specific enough
>  so that compliance with W3C accessibility guidelines is sufficient for
U.S.
>  federal guidelines?  I took a quick look at the w3c link below and didn't
>  see any mention of the issue.

There are few official Government WCA (Web Content Accessibility) guidelines
extant. A notable exception is Australia which has adopted the W3C WAI Web
Content Accessibility Guidelines (1.0) in totality. There are other countries
such as Canada and the United Kingdom that are formalizing official
guidelines.

The US "Section 508" WCA guidelines you refer to above differ from the W3C
WAI guidelines significantly.

I invite you to visit my WCA page ..........

http://www.brazilcacticult.org/wf4.htm

.......... for general WCA information -- follow the links to the "US
Government Section 508" and Australian Government pages for detailed
information.

James Pickering
Tucson, Arizona

Brazilian Cacti in Cultivation: http://www.brazilcacticult.org/
Tools for Web Page Authors: http://www.brazilcacticult.org/wf.htm
Practical Italic Writing: http://www.brazilcacticult.org/corsiva.htm

~ W3C Validated XHTML 1.0 (strict) & CSS 2
~ Accessible to People with Disabilities
  (W3C WAI/WCAG 1.0 compliance level AAA)