Re: Tidy becomes less forgiving

* Fred Bone wrote:
>On 17 Sep 2001 at 12:40, Reitzel, Charlie wrote:

I didn't receive that mail...

>> I think the distinction between an element and a tag is an SGML-ism that is
>> new to me.

Tags delimit elements. The term "tag" is commonly abused and totally
misused, think of things like "img tag" or "alt tag" (=> img element,
alt attribute). There are only three tags using XML terminology,
start-tags, end-tags and emtpy-element tags.

>> Thanks for pointing it out.  I continue to learn much while
>> working on Tidy.  In the TBODY declaration, does the pair of O's mean that
>> both the begin and end tags are optional?
>
>Yes! The TBODY element is required (i.e. every TABLE must have a TBODY
>as its sole mandatory component), but you don't need to mark its
>beginning or end with a tag.

The same goes for the html, head and body element. The minimal HTML 4
document would be something like

  <title>...</title>