RE: Tidy becomes less forgiving

On 14 Sep 2001, at 14:43, Reitzel, Charlie wrote:

> Hi Fred,
>
> Thanks for the correction on 3.2.  I'm clear about overlapping block tags.
>
> Not sure about HTML 4, tho.  From
> http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/tables.html#h-11.2.1
>
> <!ELEMENT TABLE - -
>      (CAPTION?, (COL*|COLGROUP*), THEAD?, TFOOT?, TBODY+)>
>
> Clearly I'm no expert, but I read this as requiring at least one TBODY.  But
> this is a quibble.

You're missing the distinction between the TBODY *element*, which is
required (and repeatable), and the <TBODY> *tag*, which is optional:
<!ELEMENT TBODY O O (TR)+           -- table body -->

The TBODY element was introduced in HTML4 to allow the separation of
header and footer rows (the THEAD and TFOOT elements, amazingly!).

The <THEAD> and <TFOOT> tags are, of course, required if appropriate,
because all "loose" TR elements belong to an implied TBODY.

The point I was trying (perhaps not very clearly) to make is that all
textual content, including its markup, must be contained in TD (or
TH) elements. And each separate TD element must contain the whole of
any contained block; they can't span TDs.