Re: Tidy becomes less forgiving

Fred Bone wrote:
> On 14 Sep 2001 at 11:13, Allan Clark wrote:
> > Fred Bone wrote:

> > > It isn't valid HTML, which is why Tidy tries to correct it.

> > > use a <table>.
> >
> > Now, if the multiple rows of such a markup have to line up, how is that
> > done?
>
> You could specify percentage (or fixed) widths, inline or in a
> stylesheet. Or use images to force specific widths.

When the previous lengths of the data is unknown (ie has a wide range)
this is exceedingly cumbersome.  This sounds like a case where
compliance is not economically feasible.  The existing markup causes the
redering engine to consider the data and render the table so that
everything lines up yet occupies the least horizontal space.

Can you actually see itemizing a timesheet for a client and posting "6
hrs: HTML/4.0 compliance for generated table #6 == US$1800 "?

Thanks for your help Fred, but this isn't a victorious day for
compliance and *this* page.  All my others, where possible, will be 4.01
but definitely not this one.  I appreciate your brainstorming for a
solution, though.

Allan

Allan