RE: Validating other DTDs (i.e. XHTML 1.1)

Reitzel, Charlie wrote:
> I think you're on the right track w/ sp.  Any validating XML parser should
> do the trick.  You may, however, need to do a bit of work to get the parser
> to locate the DTD file based on the Formal Public Identifier (FPI) for XHTML
> 1.1.  The XHTML 1.1 spec includes an SGML CATALOG for this purpose.  As an
> SGML parse, I'll bet a nickel that sp supports catalogs.

You'd win that bet.  The problem is locating the *actual* DTD files themselves,
outside of an appendix to the spec (W3C recommendation).  I did eventually get
SP (nsgmls) working by using the xhtml11.dtd URL listed in an example from
Section 2 of the XHTML 1.1 recommendation.  I just found it odd that there
were no links to the actual .dtd URLs anywhere in the spec ... the catalog
references a file "xhtml11-flat.dtd" ... I couldn't find that one except by
guessing what the location must be.  I'm only 90% sure that I'm linking to
the right URL.

Now that I have the link, though, SP is very useful for validating my code.
I'm surprised that I haven't seen it integrated into editors, like Tidy is.

I'm thinking that it might be nice to have it linked into Tidy!  But I
suppose you can run SP on Tidy's output with some pretty basic redirection.

Zac