RE: Exceptions in C (was SourceForge Project Approved)

No problem in that. I'm quite interested in all those things also.

> From a style point of view, I agree w/ Richard.  I think
> using exceptions
> for non-critical errors is more work than help.  Better, imo,
> to put some
> careful thought into how the library will detect, track and
> report errors.
> Given the diagnostic uses of Tidy, error reporting will be an
> important area
> of the design.  Currently, there are 3 places in Tidy where
> critical errors
> are detected (grep exit *.c).  We'll have to do something for
> these items as
> libs shouldn't call exit().

You have forgot something :).
exit() tree usage
+-- main (2 times)
+-- FatalError
    +-- MemAlloc
    |   +-- attrs.c
    |   +-- clean.c (4 times)
    |   +-- config.c (2 times)
    |   +-- entities.c
    |   +-- lexer.c (3 times)
    |   +-- tags.c (2 times)
    |   +-- tidy.c (4 times)

    +-- MemRealloc
        +-- istack.c
        +-- lexer.c
        +-- print.c

I think that is quite a few places. When I was adapting tidy for my needs
(you may note the past time and that my needs are related to big servers) I
had all those problems with thread safety and storage reclamation. So I'd
like to affect the structure in such a way, to make this task as simple as
possible.

> From a purely mechanical point of view, I'm not certain that
> longjmp is
> fine.  I don't think it is portable to _all_ platforms and
> may interfere w/
> thread safety.  Certainly, it will impose a burden on project
> developers not
> familiar w/ these techniques (like me).

It is portable as long as the platform has ANSI C. It is thread-safe (unless
you try to jump into another thread :)). At least works fine in SUN v7,
HP-UX (v11) and WIN32(was tested on PCs with up to 8 processors). And
actually it is easy to use.
I don't quite understand how it can burden someone to use
"allocator->malloc(allocator, 1024)" instead of "malloc(1024)"?. As to
setjmp/longjump:
void publicFunction (bla bla bla)
{
     if (setjmp(Lexer->jmpBuf)==0) {
          /* normal execution path */
          allocator = createAllocator();  /* create allocator for temp
variables */
          /* do something here */
          .   .   .
          /* finalize normally */
          allocator->releaseAll(allocator);
          releaseAllocator(allocator);
     } else {
          /* something bad had happened */
          if (allocator) {
              allocator->releaseAll(allocator);
              releaseAllocator(allocator);
          }
     }
}

> As for memory allocators, this is a tuning issue.  Once we
> have a stable
> library, we may find that memory allocation is a bottleneck.
> If it is, a
> custom memory allocator may be just the ticket.  For
> automatic reclamation,
> I prefer the stack.  Either local vars or alloca().  Yes, we
> will need to
> analyze the code for leaks and do some testing.

I am really interested in this 'tuning' issue :). There are two reasons: I
deal with server applications and server means something big and powerful,
but when you have several hundred threads running those tuning issues become
really important.
The heavy stack usage for server is not an option: you can not afford to
allocate 1M for every thread just for stack. On NT it can happen
automatically but on other platforms you have to preallocate stack during
thread creation.

> We'll need to do a good job on the external interface so we
> don't restrict
> future development.  For example, thread safety will be important for
> server-side applications. I wouldn't want to expose any
> custom exception
> handling in the public interface of the library.

There is no need for exposing such interface. I could be easily hidden by
top-interface functions.

> take it easy,
> Charles Reitzel

No problem. I already have all those features.

BR
VA