From: Richard A. O'Keefe [mailto:ok@atlas.otago.ac.nz]
Sent: Tuesday, May 08, 2001 7:43 PM
To: CReitzel@arrakisplanet.com; derhoermi@gmx.net;
teague@mailandnews.com
Cc: ablavier@wanadoo.fr; ac.quick@sympatico.ca; dforcier@macromedia.com;
html-tidy@w3.org; info@sl-chat.de
Subject: Re: FW: Making HTML Tidy a supported library

Terry Teague <teague@mailandnews.com> wrote:
	I was waiting for a future DOM based Tidy to make
	major architectural changes to my code.

Er, why would any sane programmer *WANT* a DOM-based Tidy?
The DOM may very possibly be a good way to expose a browser's internal
representation to a script, although I have very serious doubts about that,
but if there is a worse representation for actually *doing* anything with an
XML document I have yet to see it described in print.

I hope that my article about problems in the DOM will soon be available on
the Web; it's been accepted, reviewed, the contract's signed, and I just
have to clear up the reviewer's points.  Trouble is, the DOM has so _many_
problems that it's quite a big article.

Let me put it this way:  the fact that people prefer JDOM to the DOM says
really terrible things about DOM.