Re: Table summary attribute (was: Parsing Errors)

In <ABEELIGHKKCFOCJJDJICIEMPCBAA.mkohan@valadeo.com>, <html-tidy@w3.org> writes:
> I read  : Using JTidy as a DOM parser for b0rken HTML.
> line 4 column 1 - Warning: <table> lacks "summary" attribute
> what does mean lacks "summary" attribute

HTML 4 defines an optional (but useful, especially for aural rendering) summary
attribute for the table element:

<!ATTLIST TABLE                        -- table element --
  %attrs;                              -- %coreattrs, %i18n, %events --
  summary     %Text;         #IMPLIED  -- purpose/structure for speech output--
  width       %Length;       #IMPLIED  -- table width --
  border      %Pixels;       #IMPLIED  -- controls frame width around table --
  frame       %TFrame;       #IMPLIED  -- which parts of frame to render --
  rules       %TRules;       #IMPLIED  -- rulings between rows and cols --
  cellspacing %Length;       #IMPLIED  -- spacing between cells --
  cellpadding %Length;       #IMPLIED  -- spacing within cells --
  %reserved;                           -- reserved for possible future use --
  datapagesize CDATA         #IMPLIED  -- reserved for possible future use --

A summary attribute is not required so you can safely ignore this warning, or
add summary attributes to your tables, for example:

<!-- this is purely for getting two columns, no comment here -->
      <!-- this cell is for the left-hand navigation, speech output might
           benefit from informing the user about the content of this table -->
      <!-- this cell is for the body of the page -->

--
Klaus Johannes Rusch
KlausRusch@atmedia.net