JTidy: JTidy DOM Implementation

Greetings!

[cc'd to the list]

On Sun, Oct 29, 2000 at 11:29:41PM -0800, Gary L Peskin wrote:

> I wasn't sure what is the best way for us to communicate.  I'm
> monitoring the Developers forum for our project at SourceForge but I
> didn't know if you all were.  So, I'm sending this email.  Basically, we
> have three ways to communicate that I can think of:
> 1.  Emails between us
> 2.  SourceForge developer forum
> 3.  html-tidy list
>
> I sort of favor number 3 because I think it gets the widest exposure but
> I don't want to clutter the list with a bunch of development issues if
> that's not what people want.  I do think it's a good way to stir up
> interest for the java version of tidy, versus the c version.

I vote for number 3 as well. For convenience, we may want to prefix
the mails with "JTidy:" or somesuch.

> I've reviewed the bug submitted to SourceForge and this change was made
> in error.  I ran WinDiff on the released version of JTidy that I have
> versus the 04aug2000r3 version at SourceForge and this is the only
> difference of any significance.

This is probably my bad; I applied a patch sent to me when releasing
r2. I'll fix things as soon as I have SF CVS up. (Oops, that would be
now :)

> What I propose is that we add a SAX 2 output capability to JTidy and
> discard the DOM classes altogether.  The SAX 2 interface would fit in
> nicely with the current XML/XHTML output options and we would be done
> with it.  If someone wanted a DOM implementation, they could use a
> parser like Xerces and drive it with SAX 2 events.  Then, they could
> have a full-blown DOM implementation supported by a team that is focused
> on that.

This sounds good to me. What I am worried about, however, is backwards
compatibility. It would be ideal to carry out this in a way that would
enable those of us who are using the Tidy DOM features (including
myself) get away with little or no changes.

Someone who knows the DOM internals better might be more qualified to
comment.

Yours,

-Sami

PS. OK, the JTidy CVS is up now. I have not verified the success of
the import though; have a look at

    <http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/?cvsroot=jtidy>

if you're interested.
--