From: html-tidy-request@w3.org [mailto:html-tidy-request@w3.org]On
Behalf Of Evan Lenz
Sent: Thursday, August 31, 2000 11:10 AM
To: html-tidy@w3.org
Subject: JTidy, XHTML, xmlns, and DOCTYPE

I'm trying to use JTidy to turn HTML into well-formed XHTML suitable for
XSLT processing.  The Linux command-line tidy -asxml worked fine for me.
JTidy, however, is not including the XHTML namespace declaration or the
XHTML DOCTYPE declaration in the output.  I believe that it's *trying* to
output XHTML, as it turns, for example, <br> into <br />.

My stylesheet is written to handle elements in the XHTML namespace, so this
is a problem (which I could get around by changing my stylesheet).  The
second problem is that Tidy does not convert &nbsp; to a numeric character
entity reference and thus must rely on the DTD to declare &nbsp;.  As I
mentioned, this works fine for tidy -asxml, but not for JTidy.

This is how I'm invoking JTidy:

        Tidy tidy = new Tidy();
        tidy.setXmlOut(true);
        tidy.parse(in, out);

Am I leaving anything out?  Is there some option I need to change?

Thanks,

Evan Lenz
elenz@xyzfind.com
http://www.xyzfind.com