Re: tidy on html-kit: "new tags" question

On Fri, 18 Aug 2000, Alex Fung wrote:

> 1) unless I manually typed all custom tags to the
> edit-preference, tidy complains about each of them. Is there
> anyway to make Tidy assume all new tags are OK? Or better still
> can Tidy accept microsoft x-schema definitions?

Tidy doesn't know how to parse unknown elements and hence
requires you to declare them. This can be done in a config
file.

> 2) If I do not say input is XML, then it will do a lovely thing:
> it converts "<br>"s to "<BR />". However, it won't happen if I
> tell tidy that it is XML. OTOH, if I don't say input is XML,
> then Tidy always add some HTML tags (head, title, etc) to my
> file. How can I have <BR /> conversion but without the <head>
> etc tags added?

If you specify the output is to be XHTML, then the head and body
elements etc. will always be present since that is how XHTML is
defined.

tel/fax: +44 122 578 3011 (or 2521) +44 778 532 0444 (mobile)