Re: tidy - errors - outping to file does not work

At 1:52 PM -0400 7/16/2000, Leo Cicos wrote:
>    I've downloaded HTML-Tidy released on 8th July  2000 from
>http://www.w3.org/People/Raggett/tidy/.I've used a previous version (14th
>April 1999) and all  features were working fine. The new one doesn't
>output the errors to file with the option  -f <filename>. If i write the
>option before the foo.htm, TIDY opens the DOS  window, parses the sourse,
>detects errors, does changes (if -m is active), close  the DOS windows and
>creates a text-file BUT EMPTY even if the htm contains  errors.If i write
>the option after the foo.htm, TIDY does the same as  above, including the
>EMPTY text-file, with the difference that the DOS window  remains open,
>showing the end of processed file, with the usual  recomandations. I use
>Windows95, but i don't think it matters since the old  version of TIDY is
>working well.I keep TIDY versions in different directories and run them
>with complete path, starting with drive letter. Where lies the problem? My
>best wishes.Leo

As reported by several other people, and confirmed by myself, this is a bug
introduced into the 8 Jul 00 version of Tidy.

Fortunately, if you have the source code, the fix is quite simple :

tidy.c, Line 898 :

                if (input != null)

this should be :

                if (fp != null)