Re: Even numbers of nested CM_INLINE tags get removed (both)

"Larry W. Virden" <lvirden@cas.org> wrote:

> Re: patch to keep nested tags...
>
> Is <B><B>stuff</B></B> _supposed_ to mean something to html/xml ?  As
> far as I have read in the DTDs, it isn't supposed to mean anything...

Two bolds don't make normal text, and two bolds don't make bolder.  Two
bolds are supposed to be the same as one.  But in HTML Tidy, two bolds do
make normal text because it sees the second <B> as intended to be </B>,
then gets rid of the two real </B>s.  And gets rid of the <B></B> because
it is empty.  So any pairs of directly self-nesting tags get removed, but
any odd number come out correctly.

It is still an error when bold text turns normal because of this bug.  (And
<B> is not the only affected tag.)  The specification still allows this
nesting, even if it has no effect.  And it could have easily disallowed it
in the DTD as much as it does in how FORM excludes FORM and LABEL excludes
LABEL, to name only two examples of many.

<B><B> should not be implied to be <B></B>; it should be implied to be a
single <B>.  Enforced implied closure should not be made on tags by HTML
Tidy where there is no such rule in HTML for those tags.
--
         ,=<#)-=#  <http://www.war-of-the-worlds.org/>