Re: New bug in Tidy?

On Mon, 14 Feb 2000, Barney Wol wrote:

> The Macintosh version of the 13th Jan release produces a pretty
> similar output, although as I have the "output-xml" option in config
> set to "no", it gives an HTML 2.0 Doctype, and creates the Style
> entry in the header.  One does wonder where the "-2em" comes from,
> but while this is a good party trick, should we really worry if such
> a non-sensical input gives a rubbish output?  After all, what is the
> excuse always trotted out for computers - "Garbage in - garbage out!"
>
> Incidentally, Netscape 4.7 on the Mac displays your example below
> "sensibly", in that the bullet is pretty hard against the left
> margin, but it doesn't lose the first word, or anything for that
> matter.

My apologies for not having made this behavior clear in the
documentation. An <li> element without an enclosing list (ul or ol)
element is an error and gets reported to the user. Originally, it
was corrected by wrapping a ul element around it, however this
caused the page to look quite different from how it would have
looked in Netscape prior to being tidied. By experiment I found that
using the style property to negatively indent the bullet gave a good
semblance of the original rendering. The style attribute will be
ignored by old browsers.

tel/fax: +44 122 578 3011 (or 2521) +44 385 320 444 (mobile)