Re: HTML heading hierarchy for XHTML

I hope I am not boring the list members with a discussion that is
maybe off-topic, but I want to get a point clearer.

On Tue, 1 Feb 2000, Marc Rubin, Jay's Island Software Development & Consulting wrote:

> Actually, nesting plain "div"s seems sufficient in Amaya and in MSIE:

>  <h1>First Order Heading</h1>
>    <h2>Second Order Heading</h2>
>
> Using "id"s (names) might be pretty, but as Jany points out, they make the
> structure inconvenient to modify. Retaining the <hN> elements seems useful
> for backward compatibility with HTML.
I suggested to use <p class="heading"> in place of hN, because this allow
to treat all headings in the same way, ant to process them according with
the context. But, you could use h1 for all headings, provided the CSS
process them according with the context.
What I dislike in the use of h1, h2,..., h6 is that it hardcodes the level
of the division (section) containing the heading.
And another point is that there "only" six levels, while you can recurse
div inclusions as far as you wish.

> I'd be interested in hearing why OpenJade might be a better solution,
> but...
IMO, Tidy is a tool to tidy up and "beautify" HTML/XHTML files. Openjade
is a tool to process SGML/XML files and output others formats, and it has
backends to transform SGML/XML documents, this is to modify their
structure.
If you agree, we can discuss this point off list, or join on the dsssl
list

Jany Quintard             | Et les enfants de choeur
IBM Paris Laboratory      | Branlant du chef, opinent
Tel : 33 (0)2 51 16 40 36 |   G. Brassens (La religieuse)