Re: Leaving <!-- comments --> unchanged

At 13:12 17/01/00 +0000, Dave Raggett wrote:
> > Is there any way I can get HTML Tidy to leave my <!-- comments
> > --> unchanged?
>
>One idea would be for Tidy to keep a note that a comment started
>on a new line. It could then preserve this in the output. I will
>look into this.
>
>Regards,
>
>-- Dave Raggett <dsr@w3.org> http://www.w3.org/People/Raggett
>tel/fax: +44 122 578 3011 (or 2521) +44 385 320 444 (mobile)
>World Wide Web Consortium (on assignment from HP Labs)

Thanks for the reply. I've been experimenting with Tidy, trying to find a
work-around to make Tidy treat comments the same as block level tags.

I manage a state government web site where a number of authors (with
varying levels of html skills) should be editing the files. I've designed
templates for people to use that have lots of comments describing the
structure of the documents for instance:

<!-- paste text here -->
or
<!-- header starts here do not edit -->

When I happened upon HTML Tidy (in the latest version of Homesite) is
seemed to me to be a great way for us to maintain a reasonably consistent
style and layout control across a group of authors.

However before I can use it as a management tool it will be essential for
Tidy to leave the all important comments alone. The Homesite GUI for tidy
really helps for those authors who are not comfortable working with Tidy at
the command line level in a DOS window

Of course I could always remove all my comments, and apply the Dilbert
principle where lack of documentation is a serious job security strategy :-)

Regards, Steve

Regards, Steve
Stephen Reynolds - Adelaide - South Australia
mailto:spr@ozemail.com.au
http://www.ozemail.com.au/~spr/sitework/index.htm