RE: Working with Tidy and HTML comments

--- Pete Gelbman <pete@arraycomm.com> wrote:

>I use Tidy's "new-blocklevel-tags" option via
>Tidy's config file to ignore several custom tags
>that I use. But I don't know if this works with
>custom comment tags. I guess it depends on the
>exact sytax format of your Dreamweaver
>comments...what do they look like?

Here's a typical page:

http://www.on.net/clients/pacs/pub/admin.htm

What we need to do is preserve the structure of
comments like:

<!-- END GRAPHIC -->

<!-- SECOND TABLE STARTS HERE -->

Tidy concatinates the two comments like this.

<!-- END GRAPHIC --><!-- SECOND TABLE STARTS HERE
-->

As far as I'm aware, extensive use of comments is
common practice on sites managed by more than one
person, so I would imagine there must be some sort
of work-around.

Tidy is too useful to be restricted to hobbyists
building personal web sits without comments, and
besides, my code is not nearly as clean as most
hobbyists anyway:-)

Steve