Upgrading HTML 4.0 to XHTML 1.0

Sorry, Dave, I meant to send you the following message via this list. I will
include it here now - together with your response - for general information.

On Wed, 1 Dec 1999 I wrote to Dave Raggett:

>> Dave:
>>
>> When I tried to Validate my Tidy XHTML upgraded pages using the
>> W3C validator, they were rejected due to "invalid DTD".
>>
>> When I replaced the Tidy applied DTD etc with the Transitional
>> one from the W3C XHTML page they validated perfectly.
>>
>> The Document information was then:
>>
>> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
>> <!DOCTYPE
>>  html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN"
>>  "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
>>
>> Comments, Dave?

> I suspect the problem is caused by a change to the file name
> for the DTDs. Hitherto, these didn't start with the xhtml1-
> prefix. I am checking with the working group on this and will
> sync up with the spec for the December release of Tidy.

(D.R.)

Additionally, Dave, when I use the attributes:

xml:lang="en" lang="en"

in the HTML root element, Tidy reports unknown attribute "xml:lang" - again,
the page validates error free in the W3C Validator.

James Pickering