Re: about tidy

On Fri, 3 Dec 1999, zuoli wrote:

> I have download the tidy and found that it is a good tool to
> validate the document, and the site of w3c provide the function
> of http://validator.w3.org/ to validate the document. If they
> have difference on their capability, which is better? If the
> latter is better, why didn't add the function into Tidy?

The validator applies the SGML/XML notion of syntax checking but
doesn't repair any problems it finds. Tidy embodies a lot of
knowledge on how to fix up html, but it's not as rigorous when it
comes to attribute checking.

Combining Tidy and the validator would be a possibility - e.g. for
the validator to offer to run Tidy for you before validation, and
something the W3C Web team could look into.

Another idea would be for Tidy to apply more complete checks
on which attributes appear on what elements. This is in the
pipeline, but currently a lower priority than other enhancements.

tel/fax: +44 122 578 3011 (or 2521) +44 385 320 444 (mobile)