RE: Tidy (oct22) failed to parse comments

Bob Bagwill wrote:

> At 05:47 PM 11/20/99 -0700, Randy Waki wrote:
> >For XML, Tidy could fix comments by examining the characters between the
> ><!-- and the -->. In runs of two or more consecutive hyphens, replace
every
> >other hyphen with a space. If the last character is a hyphen, replace it
> >with a space.
>
> How about replacing them with the character entities ndash or
> mdash instead?

Aha! Although character entities aren't recognized in comments, they
should be recognized in <script> elements. So I think there is an
additional option:

  - Parse comments for <script> elements and change hyphen+hyphen to
    &#45;&#45; (or maybe -&#45;).

(&ndash; and &mdash; wouldn't translate to quite the right character.)

Randy