Re: Yet another table related bug

Jussi Vestman wrote:

> On Thu, 28 Oct 1999, Terry Teague wrote:
>
> > As an FYI, I ran the above code through the Mac OS version of Tidy (22 Oct
> > 99), and it produced the following without crashing (that's not to say
> > there isn't a bug there).
>
> That is interesting. I run same version of tidy on Linux platform
> and it crashes. I shoud have included error messages as you did:
>
> > MacTidy (vers 19th October 1999) Parsing "Work:FilterTop:Filter
> > line 9 column 1 - Warning: <hr> isn't allowed in <> elements
>
> Tidy (vers 19th October 1999) Parsing "koe4.html"
> line 9 column 1 - Warning: <hr> isn't allowed in <(null)> elements
>
> HR -element seems to have null value at its parent pointer. The MacOs
> version doesn't seem to know its parent either, but it doesn't
> crash.

I don't know what you mean by "crash", but it looks like both programs
ran to completion. They didn't do the useful thing you wanted, but
that's another issue.

As for the difference between "<>" and "<(null)>", that's just a
difference in the implementation of the C I/O library. When printf() and
friends are passed a NULL pointer to what's supposed to be a string, the
Linux version prints out the text "(null)", while the Mac version prints
nothing. I don't know what the ANSI C standard says is the Right Thing
to do here, but I suspect it's either "undefined" or "implementation
specific".

Otherwise, it looks like both Mac and UNIX versions do exactly the same
thing.

> What differences are there between Mac and Unix-source? Does MacOS version
> have some patches that are not present in Unix version?
  / Todd_Lewis@unc.edu              http://www.unc.edu/~utoddl /
 /(919) 962-5273           "Year 00 compliant for -98 years!" /