Re: SVG Color Keywords Applicability

Bert Bos wrote [1]:
> We called the list of color names "SVG color keywords" because we copied
> them from the SVG specification and because the SVG specification is
> unambiguous. It doesn't mean that the colors are only allowed in SVG.
> We could have called them "X11 color names," but there isn't a unique
> list of X11 color names, as far as I know. Different implementations of
> the X Window System have slightly different lists.

Alright, thanks. That’s where I was confused. I would expect…

<!DOCTYPE html …>
       <title>…</title>
          * { color: forestgreen; }

… to be CSS3 Color Module‐compliant, for example. The specification
leaves things a little bit unclear as to whether or not the “SVG color
keywords” can be applied to non‐SVG elements; someone suggested to me
that the keywords did not apply to HTML/XHTML elements, so I wanted some
clarification.

On a side note, I think Bjoern misinterpreted [2] what I was asking, so
I put him on the CC list.

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2007Jul/0048.html
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2007Jun/0188.html