RE: For review: Character encodings in HTML and CSS

Hi; one or two other notes--I've re-thought my comments about ie. and eg. and also now agree with Leif about css escapes--they need to be part of the sub-heading.

First, Leif, thanks for your really nice reply!

From: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 07:09:09 +0100

> (5) I believe that many authors are not aware that they may use
> character escapes inside (many) HTML attributes. Hence I think a word
> should be said about that the thing that this is in fact possible. (You
> talk about the style attribute, but @style is - or may appear - as a
> special case.

Personally, I'd never use either an HTML entity or an escape inside an attribute or in fact for any text that was going to display only as source code because I don't see entities/escapes as all that readable.
But I think that these can be discussed more in this document if this is something that will be helpful.

From: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 14:20:02 +0100

> I think that "NCR" is a term that is connected to HTML  and XML. This
> is reflected in R.I.'s text, which says "All NCRs begin with &# and end
> with ;".
This sounds correct.  So definitely some rewording of the sub-heading here would be helpful--
"What are entities, NCRs, and CSS escapes?" as you originally suggested would be fine with me also.
(I'm no longer particularly tied to my edit/rewrite--though maybe it could be,
"What are entities , NCRs and other escapes-- in HTML, XML, and CSS"
I like your rewrite fine.)
We'll leave it up to the editor.
> . . .
> However, it might also be a good thing to mention that Apache allows us
> to override [ AKA specify file by file] the encoding very simply by
> adding charset suffixes, as I explained here:

> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-amaya/2010JanMar/0083.html
Many thanks for this;
I have saved this link for my reference.
And now I have a question for you:  do I name the utf-8 version of my file (for example)

index.html.utf8.html

or index.html.utf-8.html
?

Thanks again

(and if anyone can help me better understand when a server is going to take my html pages with an html 4.01 document type declaration at the top and serve these as unicode/utf-8,
I would be interested in knowing this too).

Re: For review: Character encodings in HTML and CSS
From: John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 21:01:23 -0500

> Richard Ishida scripsit:

>> > For "ie." read "i.e.", and for "eg." read "e.g." throughout.
>>
>> ie. and eg. are my preferred style.  It's enough that I have to use American
>> spelling ;-)

>I well believe that that's irritating, but "i.e." and "e.g." are standard
> abbreviations in both AmE and BrE.
I am not used to ie. and eg. except in R. Ishida's style;
but I am all for people's having their preferred style;
so long as he does not go to 'ie' without the full stop
. . .
On thinking it over, I'm sorry I even tried to correct this . . .

(I'm a big fan of personal style, personal idiolect, personal language, etc., so it's not my place to correct this)

So maybe John would say, suit yourself here.

Best,

C. E. Whitehead
cewcathar@hotmail.com