venue for review of draft-abarth-mime-sniff-03

> I'm not sure what the best venue for discussing the
> draft might be.  I suspect that public-html,
> whatwg, or ietf-http-wg might have the most
> knowledgeable folks.

The document as it stands on does not restrict
itself to sniffing only in the context of HTML,
or only for the applications within HTTP. Rather,
it is a general set of guidelines for content-type
heuristics. If you mean to have a narrower applicability
for this document, then it would need substantial
editing to make that clear, and would then also
need more analysis of the impact of having one
interpretation of MIME for HTTP when invoked from
HTML while another for every other context.

I picked "apps-discuss" after a discussion
Lisa (apps area director). While it was previously
discussed on ietf-http-wg@w3.org, substantial
parts are out of scope for the current
HTTPBIS working group.

One of the major concerns about "sniffing"
is whether the sniffing rules are compatible with
the behavior of other Internet applications that
use MIME, e.g., email, news, instant messaging.

Since the document and concept has already had
substantial review within whatwg, ietf-http-wg,
public-html, and public-webapps, I think the
concern should turn to insuring review by the
rest of the affected protocol designers and
implementors.

apps-discuss is archived:

Larry
--