Re: Reflow (original question)

Dear Guy and WAI Interest Group,

This does raise an interesting question. The text embedded in an image is
an image of text, clearly, and it may be important. It must be represented
by alt-text.

Phrasing this criterion was very difficult. The multimedia nature of web
content was a challenge. The primary goal of the criteria was to enable
reading of the text portion of a page. The goal was to eliminate two
dimensional scrolling to read text. Text is a semantically linear object
that is wrapped to fit the width of a viewport. Scrolling perpendicular to
the direction of reading is a tractable option for a person, but scrolling
in the direction of reading (the direction of the lines) causes gross
amounts of scrolling. If all languages arranged their lines in the same
direction we wouldn't need such cagy language. So we used the term
2-dimensional scrolling rather than assuming horizontal or vertical
scrolling.

Images are very easy to understand when you zoom them. You just start at
one corner and travel your way through. At 400% you will scroll about 16
times to see everything in an image that filled the screen originally. With
text you would probably have to scroll 50 to 100 times to comprehend the
same area. That is the problem. A 1000-page book text takes me about
100,000 scrolls to read. A thousand-page picture book would take me 16,000
scrolls. That's a lot, but even a typical reader would require 1000 scrolls.

You see the complexity of images for the reader in terms of physical
movements is not as critical.

The central problem for reflow is text and two-dimensional scrolling of
text. Images are another problem.

The reflow criterion was developed because enlargement prior to S.C. 1.4.10
was a mater of zooming text like it was one big rectangular picture of
text. The fact that typical readers though of traversing text like one
would traverse an image created a situation where these readers
underestimated the burden caused by reading text as a zoomed image. It was
an understandable mistake, but it caused havoc in the lives of readers with
low vision.

Best, Wayne

PS. I didn’t just pull these numbers. I analyzed the complexity of reading
with 2-dimensional scrolling rigorously.
This does raise an interesting question. The text embedded in an image is
an image of text, clearly, and it may be important. It must be represented
by alt-text.
Phrasing this criterion was very difficult. The multimedia nature of web
content was a challenge. The primary goal of the criteria was to enable
reading of the text portion of a page. The goal was to eliminate two
dimensional scrolling to read text. Text is a semantically linear object
that is wrapped to fit the width of a viewport. Scrolling perpendicular is
a tractable option for a person, but scrolling in the direction of reading
(of the lines) causes gross amounts of scrolling. If all languages arranged
their lines in the same direction we wouldn't need such cagy language. So
we used the term rather than assuming horizontal or vertical scrolling.
Images are very easy to understand when you zoom them. You just start at
one corner and travel your way through. At 400% you will scroll about 16
times to see everything in an image that filled the screen originally. With
text you would probably have to scroll 50 to 100 times to comprehend the
same area. That is the problem. A 1000 page book takes me about 100,000
scrolls to read. A thousand page picture would take me 16,000 scrolls.
That's a lot, but even a typical reader would require 1000 scrolls.
You see the complexity of images for the reader in terms of physical
movements is not as critical with images.