Re: Non-text content loophole

Hi Steve,

You’re absolutely right but it’s even more complicated in Germany. I don't want to go in the details because while the European Union with half a billion people and quite some influence in the world can be seen as an relevant area for trying things out that might be adopted by a specification that influences countries and their laws all over the world, the particular situation in a single EU member state is neither relevant nor its always the best decisions that we make here.

Nevertheless it’s great to have such a standard that addresses the needs for disabled people even broader than WCAG. I think this is very progressive and the WG is free to adopt and rewrite ideas from EN.

You mentioned ETSI and I think you are aware of the process that already started to deliver „the best EN version we ever made“ to quote Jim Cook. ;-)

But I mentioned it here only because of the practical implications. There are techniques to address the problem that UI components might disappear when users change background color to their own preferences. CSS backgrounds just are not a good idea to replace UI components visually. And honestly: this „technique“ is called checkbox hack. It’s in the word! It's called „hack“ for a reason.

I never felt comfortable with this although I experimented with it for quite some while but all the results still were hacks with all kind of issues for UX and a11y. It was a dead end. And it still is in my opinion.

Also: Although I had to deliver what designers wanted I never got the reason. What’s wrong with a UI interface, that everybody recognises and that looks and feels familiar and does its job? Why change a running system? They say the default look is ugly. But a few years later the same designers explain me why this look they have created themselves and that had to be implemented now is not beautiful anymore. sigh… that's a clever way to keep the money coming.

„Hey - look at these inputs. It’s so boring that they are squares and have a label in front of them. Let’s spice thinks up, remove the lines, that make it look like a input, put the labels just anywhere where they look much more fancy and let’s get some popcorn and laugh at the users that try to send a form."

In my opinion they don't have to be „beautiful“. They must be familiar, predictable, perceivable, operable, understandable, robust - hey where did I hear these things?!? Sounds familiar. ;-)

But - you can’t argue with „That looks ugly“…

A nice evening to all of you!

Marc