Re: Audio visualisations

Hey,

firstly, I agree that deaf users using sign language are at great
disadvantage when it comes to digital or any written content. Level of
comprehension among the group is indeed lower than the rest of the
population. Also, availability of assisting technologies for these users
is slim. Here are some thoughts on the topic:

 *  Numbers of users of sign language (as their primary language) is
    shrinking due to alternative options (medical and technological).
 *  Primarily taught sign language is not universal across the globe (I
    know there is an International Sign Language).
 *  Sign languages often have different grammar and overall structure
    than written text, it is not just a matter of converting written
    words into corresponding signs.
 *  For instance in Slovak we have two different variants: "Slovak Sign
    Language" and "Signed Slovak", the first is a comprehensive language
    on its own, the second is just linear conversion of words into
    signs. For deaf people brought up using "signing method" the first
    option is much more comprehensible and preferred, the second can be
    related to written text -  just a different set of "characters".
    While easier to implement into assistive technology, it might not
    offer significant advantage over the written text.
 *  There are initiatives for developing an AI driven avatars converting
    written text / spoken language into sign language. I have not come
    across practical application yet, just flashy demos and promises,
    but this work is in progress and I am hopeful.

To Sarah reflecting the link she sent - as for the augmenting visual
effects - in terms of WCAG for me it falls into category of assistive
technology and that is something users should pick on their own. Some
users can prefer a vibrating device for augumentation of sound effects
for instance. SYQEL itself is just an eye-candy tool to glue viewers
into to video stream for couple seconds longer. A deaf person can just
run EQ visualisers on their own, this technology is decades old.
Have a lovely day,

Milan