2.4.7 Focus Visible

Hi Patrick,

thanks for finding these obscure settings, I have seen this setting in
Chrome but didn't realise it affected focus-visible and mouse clicks. They
definitely need to make that a clear setting.

> As a best practice, we can certainly suggest that authors should consider
making focus also visible after a mouse/pointer interaction.
> As I said repeated, nobody's stopping you from proposing a new advisory
technique. *BUT* we must be clear that use of just :focus-visible *DOES*
pass the normative requirement as laid out in the SC.

I have no objection with focus-visible being valid. What I object to is
only keyboard input permitted AA accreditation and the obliteration of
focus-visible behaviour.  I would hope an advisory warning not to
obliterate focus-visible behaviour would be the least we could do here.

I also think that the focus-visible user agent controls in browsers are far
too obscure at present for this feature to have been released, but that
might be a separate argument.

On Tuesday, July 11, 2023, Patrick H. Lauke <redux@splintered.co.uk> wrote:
> And a further follow-up: it transpires that the setting to always show
:focus-visible even after a mouse/pointer interaction is actually already
present in Chrome...just that it's currently not fully labelled as such and
rolled up into the "Show a quick highlight on the focused object" setting
in Preferences. See
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1272296#c17