RE: 2.4.7 Focus Visible

| … It's a pity that the WCAG has somewhat encouraged the mess with the current guidelines.

I believe that one of the reasons “this is a mess” is because it is really a browser requirement, for the end-user to determine preferences and settings, not an authoring requirement.
There are things that the author shouldn’t do that can block the browsers and plug-ins, and those should be in WCAG, but the rest is really a browser requirement to allow end user choice in settings.

For example, my user who has recovered from a traumatic brain injury prefers less distraction from those often “highly visible and annoying to them” visible focus indicators to their preferred plug-in that temporarily displays the mouse focus indictor which after a couple seconds fades away.

Touch-screens on laptops have also “changed the paradigm” for these TBI users. They do prefer to see the focus indication occur when they touch the element (visible feedback), same as some users prefer the audio tone when typing, when selecting a photo click, etc., while some users prefer to turn it off, because they can be constantly distracted by too many audio tones.  Again, when it’s a user preference and there are possible conflicting user needs, and needs that can change over time and familiarity with using browsers, then that’s a flag to me that it’s a user agent/browser requirement, not an author WCAG requirement.

Phill Jenkins
Ibm.com/able