RE: 2.4.7 Focus Visible

Usually, there's a whole mess of selectors, often including both :focus and :focus-visible. Often, removing :focus-visible fixes the problem, other times further changes are needed.

Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: Patrick H. Lauke <redux@splintered.co.uk>
Sent: Monday, July 10, 2023 7:27 PM
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Subject: Re: 2.4.7 Focus Visible

On 10/07/2023 19:21, Steve Green wrote:
> By "tangibly worse", I mean that developers are not using :focus-visible as it's supposed to be used. Numerous websites we have tested in the last few months have had problems with focus indicators due to incorrect use of :focus-visible. Sometimes it causes a lack of focus indication, but often it causes the text and/or background to have colours the author did not intend. No one would have coded this intentionally, which is why I suspect the frameworks are doing it, perhaps without the developer's knowledge.

The fact that they're applying inappropriate styles/colours is likely nothing to do with :focus-visible per se. If they had used :focus instead, incorrect colours etc would still be incorrect. Without a clear example though, this is speculation on my part, but :focus-visible in isolation will not cause any new problems that would not also appear if they had used :focus instead.

Patrick H. Lauke

https://www.splintered.co.uk/ | https://github.com/patrickhlauke https://flickr.com/photos/redux/ | https://www.deviantart.com/redux https://mastodon.social/@patrick_h_lauke | skype: patrick_h_lauke