RE: 2.4.7 Focus Visible

You might be right, but in hundreds of hours of user testing with disabled and non-disabled participants, no user has ever told me they didn't want focus styles on interactive components. No one even comments on focus styles unless they are missing when needed.

Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: Patrick H. Lauke <redux@splintered.co.uk>
Sent: Monday, July 10, 2023 7:14 PM
To: Steve Green <steve.green@testpartners.co.uk>; w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Subject: Re: 2.4.7 Focus Visible

On 10/07/2023 19:10, Steve Green wrote:
> Thanks, now I understand. It's not for the user's benefit at all. It simply creates a means by which developers can remove focus indicators without violating SC 2.4.7. The previous lack of nuance was never a problem except for designers who value their precious aesthetics over the user experience. I'm glad that's sorted because I'm sure we can all agree that the designers and developers are the most important stakeholders.

Bless. You know what? Not all *users* want the focus styles (particularly on immediate action controls) either. Users are nuanced as well in their needs/wants. Imagine that...

Not surprised this devolves back to the usual "darned designers/developers" discussion here though.

Patrick H. Lauke

https://www.splintered.co.uk/ | https://github.com/patrickhlauke https://flickr.com/photos/redux/ | https://www.deviantart.com/redux https://mastodon.social/@patrick_h_lauke | skype: patrick_h_lauke