Re: Conforming to WCAG 2.0 SC 2.4.5 (Multiple Ways) for pdf files

> On 01.07.2016, at 17:31, Andrew Cunningham <andj.cunningham@gmail.com> wrote:

> Which are these tools? Both free and commercial?

> > And those wishing not to be bothered with reading insanely boring ISO standards and technical specifications can readily find at least three independently developed, free of charge tools for checking PDF/UA conformance.

- PDF Accessibility Checker version 2 (PAC 2), runs on Windows,  http://www.access-for-all.ch/en/pdf-lab/455-new-test-pdf-files-with-the-pdf-accessibility-checker-pac.html

- PDF/UA validation (free of charge) as part of callas pdfaPilot (payable software except for PDF/UA validation, which is and will always be free of charge; just download the demo version), runs on Mac and Windows, https://www.callassoftware.com/en/products/pdfapilot

- PDF/UA validation by PDF Validator, runs on Windows, http://commonlook.com/accessibility-software/commonlook-pdf-validator/

- highly intuitive and efficient visual inspection of semantic and structural quality of tagging in a tagged PDF: callas pdfGoHTML (plug-in for Acrobat Pro on Mac and Windows, does not run with the free Acrobat reader), https://www.callassoftware.com/en/products/pdfgohtml

- VIP Reader - tool targeting users of tagged PDF with low vision, but excellent for plausibility checking of tagged PDFs’ structure and proper semantic use of tags (and much more straightforward to use than screen readers, like the excellent free NVDA); runs on Mac, Windows and Linux (sic!), http://www.access-for-all.ch/en/pdf-lab/vip-pdf-reader.html
> And also a couple of tools (sorry, these are not free of charge) from several vendors to create PDF/UA files, or to help fix PDF files such that they become PDF/UA files.

- for InDesign (CS 6 through CC 2015, Mac and Windows):
axaio MadeToTag, http://www.axaio.com/doku.php/en:products:madetotag

- for Microsoft Word
axesPDF for Word,  https://www.axes4.com/axespdf-for-word-overview.html

- various features for fixing or improving tagged PDFs in order to achieve PDF/UA conformance:
 - callas pdfaPilot, https://www.callassoftware.com/en/products/pdfapilot
 - axesPDF QuickFix, https://www.axes4.com/axespdf-quickfix-overview.html

Disclaimer: my views may be biased, as I happen to work for callas software (maker of callas pdfaPilot and callas pdfGoHTML) and axaio software (maker of axaio MadeToTag).

Olaf