Re: Conforming to WCAG 2.0 SC 2.4.5 (Multiple Ways) for pdf files

On Fri, 01 Jul 2016 16:49:58 +0200, Duff Johnson <duff@duff-johnson.com>
wrote:

>> What about EPUB, this is based upon HTML. Shouldn’t it also have the
>> same requirements as PDF?
>
> EPUB comes in “reflowable” and “fixed-layout” models. You choose which
> you prefer when you author the file.
>
> The reflowable model is (effectively) a single web-page, so web-page
> conventions apply.
>
> The fixed-layout model raises the same questions, in terms of how to
> apply WCAG 2.0 (which only talks about “web pages”) as does, PDF, DOCX,
> etc. I share Jonathan’s curiosity on this point.

I think the simple answer is "this doesn't apply".

I believe the purpose was to support navigation through "strict
hierarchy", and by search.

In a public web site that can be indexed by a search engine this is
trivial. In a closed website, there needs to be two different paths to
arrive at any page that isn't a step in a process.

While I look at actual navigation paths, and whether they are confusing or
hide things, since I don't need to do formal conformance evaluations but
merely consider the actual accessibility of content, I am happy to ignore
this criterion.

cheers

Chaals