Re: AI and the future of Web accessibility Guidelines

On 04/04/2024 08:02, Gregg Vanderheiden RTF wrote:

> I think much of our work is not forward-looking.
>
> We will soon have AI that can do a better job of text alternatives than
> humans can for example.
> And then it is unclear why we would require authors to do all this work.
> This applies to a LOT of things.

As a counterpoint, Gregg ... when does it end? You've stated similar
when it comes to things like authors needing to provide correct explicit
markup for headings, since (to paraphrase) "AI will be able to do it".

Captions, audio descriptions ... "AI will be able to do it".

Colour contrast issues? "AI can detect it and change it on the fly".

Once you bring in the "AI will do it" line of thinking, we may as well
just remove any author requirement, and WCAG becomes just a list of
requirements for AI user agents to massage any old web content into
something accessible.

Patrick H. Lauke

* https://www.splintered.co.uk/
* https://github.com/patrickhlauke